Friday, September 12, 2014

"Come Boldly Unto the Throne of Grace"


I don't have any funny stories or super profound thoughts to share.  I was simply touched this morning by two scripture verses about Jesus Christ, and I hope that you will feel inspired as you read them:  


"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:15-16).


The high priest referred to in the first verse is Jesus Christ.  I love the message that we can come unto Him even though we are imperfect and have struggles.  He experienced all of the temptations that we are confronted with.  He knows and understands exactly how challenging they can be because He is just like us, a human being.  

Not only does He understand the power of temptation, He also knows how we feel when we are weak and give in to temptation.  This is because He suffered for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Even though He didn't have to, He chose to bring our pains upon Himself.  He wanted to feel for himself how we suffer when we sin so that He could truly empathize with us.  I am grateful that He is perfectly sympathetic; I am even more grateful that because of His suffering, I can be forgiven of my sins and return to live with God someday.  There is no greater blessing!


My favorite word in the second verse is boldly.  We are invited to come unto Christ with courage and confidence.  Christ does not want us to approach Him with fear.  Little children are great examples of approaching life and other people with boldness.  Fear is a foreign concept for them.  They will talk with anyone.  You can be one of their best friends within minutes.  This is because they hold nothing back and they trust that you will not hold anything back either.  It should be the same way for us with the Savior.  

The promise that we may "find grace to help in time of need" is sweet.  It is true.  I know it. 


I would love to receive comments from you about these verses and what stands out to you.  I look forward to hearing from you...



No comments:

Post a Comment