Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011

Dearest Family,

I know I`ve said it before, but I really think today has been the best preparation day ever so far.  I received the Christmas package from Oregon and a package from Mom and Dad.  I have not opened the packages yet, but I am super excited.  I don`t dare open the packages with all the elders around because they`ll rob me of everything.  I also received lots of letters today.  Thank you so much for all you doing to support me.  I cannot explain my gratitude adequately.

Hermana Cuenca and I had an interesting experience yesterday.  We got to see ourselves from an outsider`s perspective.  To go to a choir practice for `De Nosotros, El Mayor,` Hna. Cuenca and I hopped in a combi.  There were not seats available for us initially, and so we stood in the bus.  As I looked around while standing, I noticed a North American with blonde hair.  Immediately, I felt interested to talk to this girl.  To my happiness, a seat quickly opened up next to this girl.  I asked the girl if she spoke English and, much to my surprise, to said, `We`re missionaries too.`  This girl was traveling with a Latina girl, like Hna. Cuenca and I travel as companions, but I had not noticed the American`s companion because neither of them had plaques.  The Latina companion appeared like the normal Peruvians in the bus.

Hna. Cuenca and I proceeded to ask the American missionary and her companion all sorts of questions.  I expected the missionaries to explain that their mission was for two to three months.  I was completely wrong.  Their mission is for twenty seven months!  They are missionaries for the Nazarene church.  The American spent three months studying Spanish.  The Latina and the American will be companions for the entire twenty seven months.  They will spend all of their time in one area.

The missionaries explained that their goal is solely to help people come closer to God through the Bible.  They are not trying to get people to change their religions.  They hinted that their work is challenging because they said `practically everyone tells us `I`m Catholic` and shuts the door.`  Learning about the facts of these girls´respective missions and their feelings was fascinating for me.  Talking to these missionaries strengthened my faith in my calling.  As missionaries for the LDS church, we have every blessing in the world to help us succeed and grow.  We have Preach My Gospel.  We have district and zone leaders.  We have the priesthood.  We have the opportunity to serve in many different areas with various companions.  With every new area and new companion, we learn new things.  Some of the greatest blessings on the mission include the gift of tongues, the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and our own testimonies.  In addition, we have the message of the restoration and the promise in the Book of Mormon that every person we teach can receive their own testimony from God.

This week was challenging for my companion.  We lost four people with baptismal dates.  This hit my companion really hard.  Heavenly Father is buoying me right now.  I actually feel excited about the work, and I feel a greater love for the mission even though our work had challenges last week.  On the whole, every week and every month I love the work more.  I`m learning something new every week.  Hna. Cuenca and I have determined, for example, how we are going to approach our area.  In our area, we need to find the people that are already married.  The couples just don`t get married, even when they have testimonies.  Although the married couples are challenging to find, I know there are some in our area and Heavenly Father can help us find them.

I have attached a picture of Hna. Cuenca and I in our room.   I`m going to try to be better about sending pictures.

I pray for each one of you.  I am proud of everyone one of you.  I can see how the gospel blesses our family in every moment.


All my love,

Hermana Blunck II

No comments:

Post a Comment