Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Foot-Pops and Fairy Tales

Some time earlier this year, I cried to my mom that I felt like my bubble had been "popped."  I explained that I felt like my naive view of life as a fairy tale had been crushed. 
I was like Mia from Princess Diaries (one of only two movies that I can quote entirely) when she cries to her mom after her first kiss fiasco, "My foot didn't even pop!" (Remember that Mia's fairy tale dream was a "foot-pop and kiss.")  I'd heard it before but my mom's response really struck home at that moment: "You have to make your fairy tale."

How can fairy tales be made?  I don't know all the answers.  I'd love to hear what you have to share.

Something that I believe can help tremendously is laughing.  Sister Hinckley, wife of the 15th president of the LDS church, puts it best.  "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through.  You either have to laugh or cry.  I prefer to laugh.  Crying gives me a headache."  (I know, it's ironic to discuss laughing after writing about a teary moment.  I don't profess perfection.)

Whenever I need a laugh (and sometimes my roommates catch me laughing to myself which is funny itself), I think of a goofy saying on a cartoon drawing of an old lady that my friend's mom always had hanging in the window of their family's blue astro van:  "When life hands you lemons, stuff them in your bra."  It's funny to me because it's so random, and my friend's mom is a woman with a unique sense of humor.  Maybe you don't think it's funny at all, but what saying or picture makes you laugh?  Can you picture it?

I'll share one more saying that makes my mom and I laugh (instead of cry), especially in the face of intimidating or challenging situations.  Our saying is "It's time for me to put on my big-girl panties!"  I have no idea how we came up with that saying, but it always makes us smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment